In order to assist customers with new projects, we have complied a few guidelines as to the information we commonly seek. The information provided will assist us in giving us a better estimate on the work required and more accurate costs.
How long will development take and how much will it cost?
To allow ByteSnap to answer this we need assess your requirements, ideally we need as much information as possible, and therefore if you do not already have a requirements specification, please consider the following:
For Hardware Projects the typical considerations are:
What are your product objectives and priorities?
- Electronic (Digital, Analogue, FPGA)
- Power Consumption
- Physical Dimensions
- Target Unit Costs
- Anticipated volumes – (This typically a trade-off between unit cost and development cost)
- Timescale requirements – (When do you need the product by? E.g. for a trade show, product launch date)
- Compliance, regulatory requirements, etc.
What other hardware requirements are there?
- Audio (In/Out)
- Wireless (Bluetooth, ZigBee, Wi-Fi, GPRS, 3G, etc.)
- Serial Ports (RS232, RS485, etc.)
- Other Interfaces (PCI, SATA, etc.)
For Software Projects the typical considerations are:
Which Operating System?
- Windows Embedded Compact (CE)
- iOS (iPhone)
- Desktop Windows
What interoperability requirements are there?
- Back-end Servers
- Legacy Systems
- Other Systems
What is the software type?
- Board Support/Drivers
- Application Development
What are the performance considerations?
- Power Management
- Boot-up Time
- Drive Performance (SD Card, Flash, Hard Disk Write Speed, etc.)
Will there be a user interface?
What sort of testing will be required?
We realise not all customer will have all the answers but providing as much information would allow ByteSnap Design to fully assess your requirements quicker and provide more accurate tenders.